Most customers on golf breaks to France and Northern Spain travel by car ferry from a choice of ports in the UK, sailing by day or overnight, high-speed or cruise-ferry.
Each Bonjour Golf holiday includes return sailings with our partner transporters, to suit your itinerary.
Why drive to your golf break?
Here are just some of the reasons to choose a self-drive golf holiday.
- Flexibility – be in control of your own timetable
- Take all your gear and as much luggage as you need – at no extra charge
- Play different courses whilst in the region
- Travel at your own pace, stop en route as and when you choose
- Make the journey a part of the holiday, maybe visit a little vineyard or historic town on the way to or from your hotel
- Excellent value for money – especially for more than 2 in a car
- Negotiated rates with the ferry companies and Eurotunnel so you can rest assured that you are getting great value
Tips for a self-drive holiday
Choose courses with a shorter driving distance.
Pick a course and hotel that is a shorter drive from your arrival port
Plan your stops for longer journeys.
It’s worth thinking about where to break your journey if you’ve got a lengthy drive. There are service stations on motorways and main routes, and many supermarkets are located on the edge of towns and offer competitive rates on fuel.
Be familiar with the laws for driving in France before you travel.
There is some compulsory equipment such as a warning triangle, GB sticker and headlight adjustments. Full details can be obtained from the AA
These are payable on some motorways and bridges. It’s worth checking you have change or a card to pay at the tolls (or péage in French).
Flying to Northern Spain
Should you wish to fly to Northern Spain we will plan and book golf, accommodation and transfers for you, but please note we don’t arrange flights.
Golf, accommodation and transfer bookings are treated differently under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992. As a result of this, you will not be covered in the same way for your holiday. Although we will always assist where we can, we cannot, for example, be held responsible for any problem (e.g. cancelled flight) linked to travel arrangements that you have made yourself.
Below you’ll find flight routes and transfer times to the nearest golfing hubs provided by our partner operator, Costa Verde Golf.
Here you’ll find the latest air routes for the upcoming season, these are subject to change so please check with the airline’s website.
Bilbao – London Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Dublin
Santander – London Stansted, Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin
Oviedo – London Gatwick, London Stansted, Dublin
- Bilbao to Laguardia Golf Hub 1 hr 20 mins
- Bilbao to Comillas Golf Hub 1 hr 30 mins
- Bilbao to Santander Golf Hub 50 mins
- Santander to Comillas Golf Hub 40 min
- Santander to Santander Golf Hub 15 mins
- Asturias to Gijon Golf Hub 35 mins
- Asturias to Comillas Golf Hub 90 mins